A working body of the Government of Xi’an and the Foreign Affairs Leading Group of the CPC Xi’an Committee, the Foreign and Overseas Chinese Affairs Office of the People’s Government of Xi’an Municipality is set up in accordance with the Program of Transforming Functions and Restructuring Institutions of the People’s Government of Xi’an Municipality（Shaanxi OfficeNo. 44）, jointly issued by the General Office of the CPC Shaanxi Committee and the General Office of the People’s Government of Shaanxi Province.
1. Transformation of Functions
To remove the responsibility of conferring certificates on enterprises with overseas Chinese investments and names.
2. Main Functions
1) To implement the laws, regulations, policies and guiding principles of foreign, overseas Chinese, Hong Kong and Macao affairs and to draft and carry out local laws, regulations and working plans regarding theses affairs.
2) To arrange activities for municipal leaders concerning foreign, overseas Chinese, Hong Kong and Macao affairs and be responsible for the reception of foreign guests, overseas Chinese, Hong Kong and Macao visitors and China-based foreign diplomats on their official trip to Xi’an.
3) To administrate centrally works regarding official trips to foreign countries and employment in Hong Kong and Macao; to examine and approve official visits of groups and individuals to foreign countries, Hong Kong and Macao and see to related procedures; to arrange overseas visits by municipal leaders and undertake invitation proposals of foreign guests, Hong Kong and Macao compatriots to Xi’an.
4) To administer foreign news agencies, resident foreign correspondents and foreign reporters on short trips for reporting and assist relevant departments with the reporting efforts of foreign journalists.
5) To be in charge of the connections and communications with foreign consulates in Xi’an and provide consular services; to handle foreign affairs in the effort of maintaining stability; to assist relevant departments to administer non-governmental organizations’ activities in Xi’an and to attend to important issues concerning foreign countries, overseas Chinese, Hong Kong and Macao.
6) To examine and verify international conferences held in Xi’an; to coordinate with relevant departments to handle port and foreign affairs; to keep up with and supervise the activities of personnel in foreign countries, Hong Kong and Macao on business trips.
7) To be responsible for promoting foreign exchanges and concluding sister cities; to coordinate with related departments to facilitate the introduction of capital, technology and talents and assist related departments with the service work for foreign, overseas Chinese, Hong Kong and Macao invested enterprises.
8) To protect in accordance with laws the legitimate rights and interests of the overseas Chinese, returned overseas Chinese and their relatives, Hong Kong and Macao compatriots; to organize communication and donation activities among returned overseas Chinese and their relatives.
9) To cooperate with relevant departments to handle the issues concerning Taiwan; to make personnel arrangements for representatives of returned overseas Chinese and their relatives and verify the identities of overseas Chinese and returned overseas Chinese wishing to settle down in Xi’an.
10) To supervise disciplines regarding foreign affairs and the implementation of confidentiality system and see to the external publicity on foreign, overseas Chinese, Hong Kong and Macao issues.
11) To fulfill other duties assigned by the CPC Xi’an Committee and the People’s Government of Xi’an.